Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Basic Brownies

I wanted to provide treats last night for the recital. At first I thought I'd just purchase some cookies and fruit, but as I was going down the cookie isle and reading the ingredients, I decided the cheap cookies were cheap for a reason! And while the expensive cookies may have been good, they were TOO EXPENSIVE!

So I came home and made my own lemon bars and brownies. I'm not giving you the lemon bar recipe. It was a new one and it was ok, but not good enough to give out with my stamp of approval.

The brownie recipe is SO easy, and I got it from my friend Pam (the same friend from whom I got the apple pie and crust recipe). They are chewy without being gloppy/gooey and underdone or cakey. They're really good.

Brownies: Full 9X13 batch
Ingredients
2 c sugar
2 cubes butter
4 eggs
1 ½ c flour
1/3 c cocoa
dash of salt

Directions
Cream sugar and butter, add eggs then dry ingredients. Cook at 350 for 25-30. Greased 9X13 pan

Brownies: Half batch for 8X8 pan
Ingredients
1 c sugar
1 cube butter
2 eggs
3/4 c flour
1/8 C + 1 Tbsp cocoa
pinch salt

Directions
Cream sugar and butter, add eggs then dry ingredients. Cook at 350 for 25-30. Greased 8X8 pan.

I don't frost mine, but she does.

Easy Chocolate Frosting
Melt 2 tbsp butter. Add powder sugar until you get a consistency a little thicker than you want. Add a little milk, a little cocoa, a little vanilla. (Real specific, hu? That's how I like it!!)

3 comments:

Erin said...

This sounds like a great recipe...I'll have to try it.

But really I'm just commenting to say that I'm super impressed that you were actually reading the cookie ingredients!

Erin S. said...

YUMMY! You must have read my mind, I got home tonight and wanted to make some brownies, but didn't have a "small" batch recipe! I'm off to make them right now!

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Erin, I have a student with a MAJOR peanut allergy. Anything with trace peanuts or made in a factory with peanuts is off limits.

Erin, (hehe), I hope they work well for you and you love them!