Friday, September 12, 2008

Vanilla syrup and Pumpkin Waffles

I haven't made the waffles yet this year (I'm holding out for fresh pumpkin), but I thought I'd put it up here because it goes so nicely with the syrup recipe I'm posting. This is heaven. I've heard the syrup is a Magleby's copy cat, but I've never eaten there so I can't tell you. I can tell you it is thick, rich, and oh so goooood.

Devilishly delicious vanilla syrup
Ingredients:
1/2 C. butter (not margarine! The margarine separates and makes it funky...)
1/2 C. buttermilk
1 C. sugar
1 tsp karo syrup
----------
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
Directions:
1. In a medium sauce pan over medium heat bring the first 4 ingredients to a boil.
2. Stir in the baking soda and vanilla.

BEWARE! When you add the soda and vanilla it bubbles us quite a bit. DO NOT MAKE THIS IN A SMALL PAN!!!






Pumpkin Waffles--serves 5 hungry adults

In a large bowl combine:
2 C. flour
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt

In a separate bowl combine:
4 beaten egg yolks (save the whites for later!!)
1 1/2 C. milk
1 C. pumpkin
3/4 C. melted butter
1 Tbsp. vanilla

Directions:
1. Mix the dry mixture into the wet mixture with an electric mixer.
2. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until they form peaks.
3. Fold egg whites into batter with a spatula or large spoon.
4. Pour into waffle iron according to your manufacturer's instructions.

2 comments:

-Laura- said...

Thanks so much for the syrup recipe! We LOVED it! Haven't tried the pumpkin waffles yet, because I didn't have pumpkin, but I'll have to try them soon. Just reading the title of this post made my mouth water. :) I hope you don't mind, I posted the syrup recipe on my recipe blog. Is that okay?

Celia Marie (W.) B. said...

Laura I'm so glad you guys liked it!