Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Mexican Rice

I adapted the recipe from here.

1 can tomatoes (I had fire roasted with garlic)
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1/2 jalapeno (I used a canned rather than fresh since they seem to have more heat)
1 C long grain white rice
oil
1-2 garlic cloves, pressed (I used 1 since the tomatoes had garlic)
1 C chicken broth
3/4 tsp salt
lime* optional
cilantro* optional

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. Puree tomatoes and jalapeno in blender or food processor
  3. Rinse rice under cold water in a fine mesh strainer till the water comes clean. I didn't do this and it was fine, but it does make for fluffier rice.
  4. Heat  a little oil over medium heat in and oven safe saute pan or dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. I didn't have this, so I just did it in a pot and dumped it into a 9x13 pan when I was done sauteing.
  5. Cook the onions till translucent. Add rice and garlic. Cook till rice is light golden, just a few min.
  6. Stir in pureed tomatoes and broth. 
  7. Put in the oven (either in the oven safe saute pan or 9X13 baking dish), cover tightly, and cook for about 30 min. or till tender. I checked mine around 20 min. and it seemed like it needed more water, so I added a few tablespoons.
Stir in lime juice and chopped cilantro if you so desire. I didn't, but I'm sure it would be good.

No comments: